Track Attack instructors needed!
Our Track Attack program is becoming very popular and growing under the great leadership of Meghan deLagran.
The position requires you to teach cross country skiing skills to children ages 9-13 each Saturday morning from 9:45-12:15 (January and February). The program requires fun, creative, outdoorsy people who are ready to pass a love of skiing on to the children of our community. Adults and teens are encouraged to apply. An honorarium is given.
We will train you! Minimum coaching certification is Cross Country Canada’s Community Coaching Course. We’d also like to have some instructors with the next level of certification, Learn to Train. Both of these courses will be offered this month or next. The club will reimburse instructors who take these courses.
Please apply to Meghan deLagran at email@example.com
Include an outline of your ski and teaching experience in your application.
If you are interested at all, please contact Meghan right away for more information so you don’t miss upcoming courses.
Track Attack is a 3 year program that builds on the Jackrabbit training for ages 9 to 13 years. The track attack athlete will develop confidence in all aspects of the sport in either recreational skiing or racing (the focus is up to the child). Track Attack will develop each child’s skill level and knowledge of the sport through games, play, and direct instruction. Special activities include ski orienteering, off the track fun, Xtreme cross country, snow camps and participating in local races.
Thank you! Cathie Raynor
Secretary, Arrowhead Nordic Ski Club
Our on-line registration is now open for the 2015 season! Please go to our registration page to get there!
As communicated earlier via e-mail, the elementary school race for Friday, February 28, 2014 is cancelled due to extreme cold weather.
Grab your team, think of a theme, and come out to the Wacky Relays on Sunday.
All Ages – extra points for participants over 70 and under 10. Prizes and a potluck.
You need to register by Saturday at noon!!!
This is a great way to end the ski season, and great consolation event for those disappointed about the school races being canceled tomorrow.
Event: Classic Ski Wacky Relay and Pot Luck Lunch
Event Date: Sunday, March 2nd, 2014
Time: Race will begin at 12:00 noon; Teams should present to check in and pick up bibs between 11 and 11:30 a.m. at the Birches Warming Hut; potluck lunch to follow
Registration Deadline: Saturday, March 1st at noon
How to Register: Email your Team Name, list all team member names (4 per team) and their ages before Saturday, March 1st at noon to:
- 4 members per relay team (numbered bibs will be provided pre-race)
- each team must bring a pot luck item to be shared post-race at the Birches Warming Hut
- each team member must ski one lap of the 1 km route (Bunny Trail – start line is at the Stadium area – suitable for a novice jackrabbit skier)
- each team member must contribute one themed item (hat, cape, lei, sunglasses etc.) that must be identified as a Team Item > each Team will have 4 Team Items >> themes are encouraged – be creative!! (Olympic theme, Hawaii theme, Superhero theme, go for it!)
- all four Team Items must be worn by the team member on their lap
- all four Team Items must be transferred to the next skier in the transition zone > skiers will NOT be allowed to advance through the transition zone until they display all four Team Items (NOTE: Transition zone will be a fun place for spectators to watch, cheer and take photos of the transitions!)
- at any time if a Team Item is dropped, skier must return to collect it before advancing
- the 4th team member must cross the finish line with all four Team Items > skiers will be sent back if any are missing
- a young team member may be accompanied on their lap by a helper (may or may not be on the team), but the young team member must wear the Team Items
- NOTE: participants who are not members of Arrowhead Nordic Ski Club will be asked to contribute a tooney and sign a waiver (all kids enrolled in club programs ARE club members.)
- 3 points per team for each skier between 0-10 years
- max. of 1 point per team for skiers between 11-20 years
- max. of 1 point per team for skiers between 21-50 years
- max. of 1 point per team for skiers between 51-70 years
- 2 points per team for each skier 71+ years
- when race is complete, each team is awarded one point for every team that they finished ahead of
- points for team spirit, team item themes, etc. may be awarded at judge’s discretion
- prize for the team with the top score (based on points accumulation, above)
- prize for oldest and youngest participants
- random acts of kindness are encouraged > nominate someone and their act will be rewarded!
- team item themes are encouraged – be creative!! (Olympic theme, Hawaii theme, Superhero theme, go for it!)
- spectators are encourage to watch, cheer and take photos, and to participate in the Pot Luck
Please bring your own cutlery, plate and mug for the potluck to follow.
Potluck is open to all who contribute – the cheering fans as well as the racers and judges!
Thanks to our volunteers, park staff and of course the competitors! We had a great day today.
Here are the results: 2014 Elementary School Race #1
We have received some pictures from the event which turned out great! You can get to them from the Muskoka Loppet page
The results from the 2014 Loppet can be found on the Muskoka Loppet page.
Thanks to our wonderful, brave volunteers, our generous sponsors and the racers from all over the province (and country!) who participated. Without all of you, this event could never happen!
Today’s JR session is cancelled due to the cold temperatures. A make-up session will be scheduled.
The Muskoka Loppet will be delayed by 1 hour tomorrow. Start time will be 11:30 am. It should be above -20 by then and still be sunny. We’d rather you keep warm at home than be crowded into our warm up facilities.
There will not be any races for kids 11 and under in any distance. The high for the day is -16 which is not warm enough to run kids’ races. We will refund the race fees for kids 11 and under. Please note that the 5 km race will still run for social skiers, kids 12 and over, and Special Olympic skiers.
30 km race – we will make a final decision close to race time whether to shorten it to 1 lap or not. 30 km racers who wish to switch to the 15 km race will be welcome to do so.
We are very sorry for any inconvenience and disappointment this causes the kids. The good news is that everyone gets an extra hour of sleep!
Loppet racers: please read the Race Day Briefing as it includes important information for Sunday’s event. You can find more information by going to the Muskoka Loppet Page.
***** Update Regarding Cold Weather ******
The weather is not cooperating again, so please note the following:
- If the temperature is not above -20 at race time, we will delay the race. If this looks probable, we will make that decision the night before. Please check your email. Our warm-up facilities are limited, and we would rather you arrive later in case of a race delay.
- If the temperature is not above -15 at race time, we will be CANCELING the races for kids ages 11 and under in both the 5 km and 15 km (&30km) distances.
- the 30 km race might be shortened to 15 km (one lap) depending on weather conditions